Saturday, May 27, 2006

Real Fake

There was an isolated island in which an airbase was set up during World War II. The islanders were taken with the way that the airbase seemed to be able to summon up endless airplanes with food and other useful supplies. When the airport was dismantled after the war, the natives decided to try and summon up airplanes themselves by building runways, bamboo models of radio equipment and so on. Despite the fact that this "cargo cult" went to great lengths to recreate the exact look and feel of an airport, they were disappointed when it failed to deliver the benefits they were looking for.

I want something more than just the look-alike in my life. Part of it is because I want something more for my kids than a knock-off of what I may not even have. How many of us have looked at the generation before us and were convinced that what they had was not real? That we would have the real deal ... the real revival, the real activity of the Spirit, the real fruit and the real character of Christ.

It's easy to believe "they" missed it but we're young and spunky enough to get it right. And, oh, that we would! We must have God. Anything less is certain spiritual death. And certain depression. And certain disillusionment. We have to give our hearts and our energy to Him, to pursuing Him. To invest our heart into drawing Him close to us through wooing Him with our love.

I want to coax Him to come close with my love. I want to draw Him out into the open and drive Him crazy with the attention I give Him. But it takes energy and time. What would He do for my love? Would He draw close?

I've just been looking at the subject of 'The Arm of the Lord", which is Jesus, and at what things are manifested when Jesus is revealed. I don't have a good enough grasp of it yet, but it seems to boil down to a few things. One: salvation. Two: justice. And there are large lists of things underneath those headings ... but I don't really know what to say about it yet.

I just want something real. I want Him.

No comments: