Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Olivia’s 1am Update

I’ve been trying to monitor the whimpering that Olivia has done. There seems to be a correlation between how much vacuum pressure is present in the drainage tubes in her chest and the amount of moaning she does. After a surgery such as this, there are small, flexible tubes stitched into patient’s chest. These tubes are hooked up to a powered hoover-like contraption (or, Dyson-like, for the younger, cooler folk . . . except not as powerful . . . so I guess it’s closer to a dustbuster. Anyways . . .). The machine creates suction that pulls the extra blood and fluid from the open abdominal cavity so infection is less likely, distention is minimized, and the healing process is pushed along. Of course this vacuum creates internal pressure, which is not comfortable. Hence the moaning.

I noticed some duskiness (grayish-blue coloring) creeping back into her face and something that looked like a section of capillaries which had burst at Olivia’s neckline. I talked with the physician and we ran a bunch of lab tests. We found out her hemoglobin and hematocrit (H&H) levels were fine, but on the slightly low side of fine. Not a problem. However, we found that her blood was too thin so we added two helpings of platelets. This will thicken it up a bit and assist with coagulation. We also found a need to increase some electrolytes, so calcium gluconate was given. Her color looks better now and the neckline issue has basically disappeared.

She has some pain meds on board, so she should be able to sleep decently for the next several hours. A few moans here and there, as far as I am concerned, are more than allowable right now. Her breathing treatment is done for the night.

Even in the midst of her pain, Olivia smiled a few times tonight, which is great. And she really loves her juice. She asks for it at every opportunity—and I give it to her.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is just precious to see her DAD being her strong advocate in this way. You are appointed over her, and you get a star for being a good and faithful servant to this littlest one. I am happy you pushed to keep her in the PICU; I believe that is the right decision given what you have described, and you must have been convincing! It sounds like the medical staff there are appreciative of your extra pair of eyes on her, and I am confident that will continue as you move through the stages towards being discharged home. Good ole apple juice; it makes me smile too just to think of her sucking it down! Bless her heart...again. Thanks for the vigilant updates. ~Steph

Farmer Family said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Steph. Yeah, I don't know whether they appreciate me or not, but the parent will always be the strongest advocate for the child. Just doing what I think I should do, especially when I see something that I am not comfortable with. :o)

Josh