Thursday, November 17, 2005

Baby Steps Are For Babies

Yesterday Amy and I decided we're going to give ourselves to IHOP in a more full way. Within an hour she was on a team and singing four times a week. Now it's my turn to find a team to play drums on. As far as I can tell, though, everyone is pretty much full so I'll just be filling in for a little while.

Other than that, she's doing Starbucks 'til around noon five days a week and I am taking on a lot of writing and editing. We're going to be raising support as full-time missionaries here in Kansas City and putting some effort behind building an internet business.

It's weird. I've had some jobs that made me feel like I was so busy, I didn't have time to pardon my sneezes. I feel it even more now. It feels bigger, more weighty--lots more responsibility and pressure. But it's mixed with joy and peace, two things that haven't neccessarily been overflowing in the recent past. I'm just in a weird spot at the moment and I can't say that I know how to explain it.

I do know, however, that all these steps are huge--enormous. Starting a business, raising support as missionaries, switching careers mid-stream... not small things. I've always been an all or nothing type of guy, but it's a different story when you have a family to care for. The risks are greater, more immediate.

There's something frightening and exhilarating about making God your safety net.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys! That's weighty and exciting. It makes me very happy to hear it! Grace, grace.

Randy Bohlender said...

Josh - I'm awed. I'm odd too. Figured I'd save someone else the trouble of pointing that out. Anyway, what I meant to say is that I'm big time proud of you guys. This is huge.